Sunday, March 8, 2009

Partner Meeting Reflection

Meeting with my Partner Reflection

I felt it a little difficult to be the leader in this situation. Although I have been going through the process it is not yet complete. So, I have a hard time justifying the reasoning behind doing each of the steps. It was also difficult to answer some of her questions regarding things we have not gotten to yet.

Anyhow, I began by showing her what I had already completed for the class, right from the beginning. I went over the unit template. Then I showed her how I had unpacked the goals for health using p. 125. So I decided it would be easiest to go step by step through the language arts goal the same way. So we completed the unpacking of the goals. I found this to be much more difficult than I had the first time with the health learning result. The curriculum goal seemed to be so precise already. It seemed as though we kept repeating ourselves in slightly different wording. The language arts goal we chose was that students will write to inform on a specific topic. Our intention was for students to be able to inform others on the importance of being healthy and staying healthy using good food choices through their writing. We were unable to come up with three understandings and questions for this.

Despite our trouble, we moved on to the knowledge and skills portion. Once again, it felt like we were repeating ourselves a lot. We were able to come up with skills using most of the six facets. Some of them may be a little stretch though.

The process was was hard to teach to somebody, being as I have only been using it for such a short time. I found that my partner has a lot of the concerns about the unit that I have. I also think that this process makes sense to most teachers. It seems like we do it naturally or have been taught it before. However, my partner also agreed that if we were to do this entire process for every three or four week unit, we would be swamped with it!

I used many leadership skills during our meeting. My organization definitely came into play. I had to refer back to my stage one templates and notes quite frequently. Sometimes I did just have to tell her that I was not sure. One important aspect of being a great leader is believing in what you’re selling. This was the worst for me, because I’m not totally sold on this whole unit yet. I was apprehensive to tell her that I shared her concern for all the technology at our grade level. I found myself being supportive by simply telling her that we were in this together, no matter what we decided.

No comments:

Post a Comment