Saturday, March 21, 2009

Chapter 8 - Arts in Education

Reflection for TPACK, Chapter 8- Arts Education

Although I do not directly teach art or music, dance or drama, this chapter did give me some good ideas. When beginning the chapter I immediately thought of using technology to be create in an art or music sort of way. For my students, this may be using Pixie to make a creative illustration or recording a song using Garageband. The idea I got was to use the internet in a more global way. If we were studying a different culture, we could research it or visit museums. We could maybe even find interviews or diary entries from history.
This chapter was packed full of great websites that I plan to visit. I am sure I will also get a wealth of ideas from them. I was glad they gave a brief description of the sites so that I knew which may apply to me.
I have to admit that I never had considered dance or drama a part of our curriculum. I have always thought dance was an extra curricular activity, not even offered in most schools. This section threw me off a little bit. Then I thought it’s only fair, since we train kids to use their voices and thoughts to express themselves that we also teach them to use their body. As listed on page 189 of the text, technology enhances our teaching and students’ learning in so many ways. Kids can visit places they never dreamed and see things they never thought they would see. Although funding has dropped and most of us do not have field trips we can go anywhere. The world is now available to us, mostly for free!
I have to end with a quote that I loved, from page 189 also: “I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework (Lily Tomlin as Edith Ann in Laugh-In).” I think this quote is very powerful and is something I strive to do.

3 comments:

  1. Cindy,
    I have been exploring the kids space site, which is really neat. I was thinking of using it as examples to show my students, rather than submitting my own (although I think it's neat that I could).

    The Art Sparklers site also had some great ideas. One I especially liked was about showing storms through art. The lesson also had examples to show the kids and different techniques to use that will make your picture more "stormy!" Thanks!

    Stacey,
    My favorite on your list was the KinderArt site. I was immediately drawn to the bulletin board ideas, because I love to put our art on our bulletin board for everyone to see.

    I also loved all of the crafty ideas they had! There are tons of little projects and many of them have the kids creating something useful! Thanks for the great sites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the KinderArt too! I use it all the time. There are many crafts and ideas to use in the classroom and for your own use. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm using some of the ideas from the Art Sparklers site too. I too was going to use the stormy weather idea for poetry in my class. I also thought about the portrait of a friend and poetry as well. I really like that these lessons all link to examples of artists' work for discussion and understanding.

    ReplyDelete