Sunday, March 22, 2009

Chapter 5- Foreign Languages

Reflection for Chapter 5- Foreign Languages

I should preface this reflection by stating that I know next to nothing about teaching a foreign language. I took two years of Spanish in high school and I watched my first graders being taught a foreign language for two years. That is the only reference I have to teaching another language.
There was one idea that intrigued me. I would like to research and find out more about the language acquisition device. This device allows children to learn grammar and language rules. I am thinking that this also applies to young students who are still acquiring their first language. A few of my first graders are continuing to work on their language development with our speech clinician. For some students the lack of language development effects their reading and writing. So, this is something I would like to find out more about.
For students learning a new language at all levels, I can just imagine how the internet and other technologies have assisted in this process. Students now have access to people speaking that particular language all around the world. When my first graders were learning Spanish, the teacher talked a lot about Spanish culture and traditions. The students were very interested in this and helped to build on their vocabulary.
I did highlight and enjoyed reading the quote on page 117 that stated, “there is no single technological solution that applies for every teacher, every course, or every view of teaching.” It reminded me that my classroom, my students, and my teaching is different from everyone else’s. Therefore, I have the right to use my professional judgement and decide when and how to use technology. I like that idea!

3 comments:

  1. Ruth, I liked the idea of looking at different newspapers. That is a great connection for kids to make! Even young students can relate to this and have fun exploring newspapers. I had never heard of the free rice site either, that is really interesting!

    Hattie, I love the online soap opera that you help choose! That would be great for early language learners too, if it wasn't so steamy! I could picture my kids getting into an online choose your own adventure. I also loved that you included sign language. I took a sign language course a few years ago and it was great. It gives you a different appreciation!

    The Google Lit Trips is interesting too. Most of them seem a little too involved for my kiddos, but it is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe there are less steamy choose your own adventure stories out there. I got into the storyline with Carmen and Dave and kinda forgot about what I was supposed to be doing for a while. I think that the Lit Trips could be user friendly for your little ones if you were to do it for them. It does look a little complex and involved, but they had a variety of age levels listed so I thought that it might be a good resource for all levels. It's hard to find sites that might appeal to and have relevance for all levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    I agree with you that culture is very important in teaching and learning of world languages. At the end of your blog, you mentioned that technology integration depends on a number of variables and the teacher as a professional has the right to determine when it is appropriate to incorporate it. I very much agree with that statement as well. Thank you for introducing me to Xtranormal. I want to use this movie making software with my students.

    ReplyDelete