Sunday, March 1, 2009

Chapter 4- English

Reflection to Chapter 4, TPCK

I think this chapter may have been the most difficult for me to relate to. I just felt like it was totally over my head and definitely focused on middle and high school teachers.
What I did really like was the emphasis that this chapter put on the materials and assistance needed to achieve the true “TPACK” model. We need access to hardware and software that is continually updated and managed. Most of us who are currently in the teaching field would make great use of a colleague with lots of experience integrating technology into many content areas and grade levels. Unfortunately, in a time when we are being expected to do more with technology, those technology integrators who can help us are being cut from the budget.
The examples of how some districts are set up with fantastic technology programs and resources was amazing to me. However, I wondered where technology was placed on the list of importance. Is technology becoming more important than the basics- reading, writing, and math? I find myself asking this same question a lot lately. I firmly believe that the learning is most important and for some activities using technology is not always the best answer.
I liked the examples of the two teachers near the end of the chapter. It seems like a fine line between using technology to help your teaching and using technology to help students learn. One would assume that if your teaching is better, the students are probably learning more. But, of course, this is not always the case.

3 comments:

  1. I really got a lot of ideas from you, Maggie and Meg. I especially liked the safe teens site as a reminder of safety. I am planning to particularly check out the blogging info at different grade levels. I am thinking about doing a blog as a newsletter next year that my kids will help me write and then take over as the year goes on. Thanks for all the great info girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a classroom blog! I would think it would be great way to foster parental involvement as well. In addition, I like that you would be using the "gradual release model."

    I also need to check out that safe teens website in greater depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    I am so glad that the safe teens website was helpful to you. I really think we overlook that crucial skill when setting them loose in the world wide web.

    As for the blog, I think that sounds great! I would just like to be able to get a class website or wiki going to be able to post reminders and assignments. I know it would help me stay more organized. Please let me know how your blog turns out next year. This sounds like a great way to get kids to take ownership in their classroom and their learning!

    ReplyDelete